Hazardous Waste Disposal
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Wastes are household products that can cause injury or are harmful if not used, stored or disposed of properly. There are many things in your home that can be dangerous if they are not disposed of properly. The average household in Franklin County creates 15 pounds of hazardous waste every year. Hazardous materials must not be put with regular trash because they can harm trash collectors and create environmental problems. These chemicals pose a threat to people (particularly children, refuse workers and firefighters) pets and our environment. Soil and water pollution can result from improper disposal of HHW.
Household Hazardous Waste includes, but is not limited to:
|Ammunition||Insect killers||Pool Chemicals|
|Car Batteries||Lighter fluid||Strong chemicals|
|Disinfectants||Motor oil||Weed killers|
|Gas cylinders||Paint thinner|
- Read the label. Some products have directions for proper use, storage and disposal on the label.
- Consider safer products. Baking soda makes a good scouring powder. Cedar shavings and aromatic herbs can replace mothballs.
- Choose the least hazardous product and buy only what you need.
- Try to use up the product. If you have some left, give it to a friend or neighbor to be used up.
- Store them carefully because many products are dangerous for children and pets. Keep products in their original containers.
- Take used motor oil and car batteries to local recycling centers.
- Save them for free Hazardous Waste Disposal Days
- Take then to SWACO’s Hazardous Waste Site (See above)
- Don’t flush them down the toilet, tub, sink or sewer. This may contaminate our water supply.
- Don’t dump them on the ground.
- Don’t throw them away with regular trash.
- Don’t burn them.
- Don’t store them where children or pets can reach them.
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency – Hazardous Waste Info 644-2917
Questions about Household Hazardous Waste? 871-5100
OSU Extension – Franklin County has “recipes” for safe alternatives: 866-6900
For additional information, call the Columbus 311 Service Center: 645-3111
Call SWACO at (614) 871-5100 visit the SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY’S website at www.swaco.org for more information.